Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fantasy Kingdoms - Chinese New Year

Some of the assets I created for Chinese New Years above.  A celebratory banner, rabbit terracotta warrior, a lantern bonsai tree, and a Chinese Airship.  Select the images for the larger in-game sized version.


Since it was the Year of the Rabbit, I wanted to make a rabbit warrior based on the Terracotta army - historically made by artisans for the first emperor of China and found buried underground (in 1974 according to Wikipedia) - Yeah, I watched a documentary special a while back on the history of China. 

Bonsai is a bit more Japanese although there is a Chinese equivalent.  I found a gorgeous bonsai reference which made me so envious of the patience and talent to raise and care for such a tree, I entertained the thought for a moment.  (I have cats, so it seemed overall an exercise in futility.)  This was my ode to that tree.  I added a little rabbit graphic on the base.

For the Chinese Airship, I combined the inspiration of the parade dragon floats along with my desire to create a floating ship.  I actually designed similar wings for an old ship I'd drawn a long time ago.  All the little details were fun to play around with creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment